Sign up for Jen Klein Newsletter
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
- March 2015
- October 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- April 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- October 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
Subscribe to jenkleinbooks.com
Sign up for Jen Klein Newsletter
Apparently I’m Very Bad at this blog when I have an actual real person job at Grey’s Anatomy. All I can say is sorry… and also that Season 11 is going to rock your socks off. These people I work with are truly amazing and brilliant and fascinating.
That is all I have to say about that.
In other news, hey remember one time when I said we have an air date for The Choking Game, and that it was in June? I lied. It’s now airing this weekend — Saturday, July 26 — at 8:00pm on Lifetime. Check it out. You can also follow @ChokingGameFilm for live tweeting during the premiere. I will be with director @LaneShefterBish and star @FreyaTingley at a special little viewing party (hoping @alexasteele and @GilpinPeri are joining too… haven’t heard yet). But YOU should join us onscreen and on Twitter!
2. Being in Winnipeg for the filming was something I will always remember and cherish.
3. Guess what: actors can say the exact words you wrote, but somehow enhance the meaning. That astounds me.
4. I think I should probably say that nothing I post here reflects the views of ABC Studios or ABC Network or Shondaland or Patrick Dempsey, because…
5. I am starting work as a staff writer on GREY’S ANATOMY. Blogging will become even more sporadic (if such a thing is even possible).
I am playing with new headshots for book covers and what-not. It is a severely humbling experience and, looking through them, all I can see is how my nose is crooked and I hold my mouth funny. Luckily, my photographer is rock solid awesomeness so I’m trusting he will make one of these into the winner…
In other news, I’m heading up to Canada in a couple weeks to be on set for the filming of CHOKE staring Freya Tingley and Peri Gilpin. So excited to have them both on board, and delighted that we will all be in such brilliant, capable hands with helmer Lane Shefter Bishop! What I’m LESS excited about is freezing my ass off in the Winnipeg winter. Seriously, I’ve been in California long enough now that anything below 65 makes me run for a sweater. I talked to Lane a couple days ago and she said it’s BELOW TWENTY which is, of course, completely unacceptable. Expect selfies of me completely bundled up. Also, expect complaints.
In the wonderful world of books, I just wanted to say that I am in love with all the smart, funny, open and honest writers who are sharing the Fearless Fifteeners journey with me. So nice to be on the ride with them and to know that others have the same fears, the same questions, the same crippling middle-of-the-night doubts and shining moments of celebration. This writing career… it might seem lonely to make a life surrounded by people you’ve dreamed up in your own head, but so often you come out of the haze behind your computer screen to discover you’re actually in the company of others who understand you and who Get It. It’s nice to meet others who Get It.
Have a great week, everyone.
SHUFFLE, REPEAT coming from Random House Children’s in 2016. A stand-alone YA contemporary romance. As reported in Publishers Marketplace:
Jen Klein’s SHUFFLE, REPEAT, pitched as WHEN HARRY MET SALLY if Harry is a loner teen girl and Sally is the popular boy forced to drive her to school every day; when their epic battle over the music playlist develops into friendship and eventually love, no one is more surprised than these two opposites, to Michelle Nagler at Random House Children’s, with Chelsea Eberly editing, for publication in Spring 2016, by Lisa Gallagher at Sanford J. Greenburger Associates (World).
Hey, remember like a zillion months ago when I said I had this writing project that I couldn’t talk about yet? I was just given the go-ahead to spill my news… which is that I’m writing the screen adaptation to Diana Lopez‘s beautiful YA book, CHOKE! It will shoot in Winnipeg in March (OMG, THE COLD!), and will air on Lifetime at the beginning of June.
So… that’s my news. I’m really excited.
See, this is what happens when your kids are on summer vacation, and then you have a ton of travel and there’s family drama and you’re gonna owe someone a movie script and you do owe someone else a book draft and then you get some animation work and a bunch of meetings and next thing you know, there’s a wedding and some MORE travel and your husband has to work in France and you have to work in New York, and your kids go back to school and everyone has tons of homework, plus you’re responsible for getting small people to drum lessons and soccer practice and flag football practice and Odyssey of the Mind practice, and BTW everyone still has to eat and shower and occasionally do something social…
… which I recognize is not much of an excuse now that summer is WAY over and, even in southern California, it’s starting to get cold and my kids are trying to figure out what their Halloween costumes will be.
Side note: last year, the oldest one was “Zombie Elmo.” It was great because adults got the irony but little kids just were excited to see Elmo. The youngest one, however, wanted to be “hair.” Yes, hair. Like the hair on your head. I bought a dozen headbands with attached locks of nylon hair at the dollar store and began sewing them to a sweatshirt and pair of jeans…
… and then the younger one went to the party store with his father and realized that what he REALLY wanted was a crown and a shield. Thus, for Halloween last year, he was “The King of Hair.” It was quite a sight (and resulted in a LOT of explaining to people).
But back to my poor, poor neglected blog. I know, I suck. In honor of my sucking and blog neglect, I present to you: FIVE SUPREMELY RANDOM THINGS.
- I have finally paid someone to clean my house, even though it makes me feel guilty and over-privileged and lazy. That might tell you something about how bad it had gotten.
- Do you know about OneFourKidLit? If not, you should. It’s the official group of MG and YA debut authors whose books publish in 2014. If that’s you – if YOUR first traditionally published book will come out next year – I strongly urge you to get involved with this group. They’ll support you and invest in you and be your advocate and cheering squad. BUT HERE’S THE RUB: they are only accepting applications for new members through 10/31/2013. That’s right around the corner so if your book is coming out next year, GET ON IT!
- Since there’s a 2014 group, there must be a 2015 group… right? Right! The group is named the Fearless Fifteeners and I volunteered to be one of the admins. This was either a brilliant move on my part (so many new friends! their books! camaraderie!) or the worst choice ever (the work! egads, all the organizing and work!). We will open for membership soon… VERY soon… so watch this space for details. Here’s what I can share thus far: already, I have learned that the other 11 admins are thoughtful and generous and friendly. I can’t wait to read and support their books.
- Over the summer, during the great dearth of television, I watched three new (to me) series that were all freaking fantastic. Thus, I present to you my latest recommendations:
- ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK on Netflix. Yes, it’s about women in prison. Yes, there are boobs and swearing and drugs and sex so it’s not going to be for everyone, but HOLY CRAP the writing is amazing. It’s SO different and fresh, and like 90% of the actors are women and – get this – almost none of their storylines revolve around men! I know, right? As it turns out, women can be complex and interesting, with fascinating histories and choices and relationships. World, I hope you’re paying attention!
- ORPHAN BLACK on BBC America. Super weird, super smart, and like nothing you’ve seen before. Plus, one actor – Tatiana Maslany – plays a whole bunch of different characters, and every single one is specific and genuine. I can’t tell you much more without spoiler alerts going off, so just do this: check out the pilot episode. You’ll be hooked.
- SCANDAL on ABC. Somehow we missed it when it first came out, and then we had other shows to watch (be addicted to) so we never got on board UNTIL this summer (great dearth) when my husband said he wanted to check it out. We ended up binging through the existing two seasons, finishing up right before the new season – season three – started just a couple weeks ago. So now, although we’re thrilled to be appreciating the drama and politics and achingly painful love story at the same time as the rest of the world, we’re also bummed when an episode is over and we have to wait a WHOLE WEEK instead of just arrowing through to the next one. I know… tough life, huh?
- It is KILLING me (although not LITERALLY killing me because that would be using the word incorrectly and I don’t do that… ahem!)… KILLING me that i can’t blab about this movie I mentioned about a zillion months ago. It’s coming, I promise! As soon as I can, I’m going to tell you ALL about it, and especially about the cool, smart, IMPORTANT source material it’s based on. Special secret hint: it’s a YA book!
- I know, I know I said only five, but this just occurred to me: I cut all my hair off! New headshots coming soon…
Whew! Okay, I’m back in the game, people. It feels good to be here.